3. Pocket Queries

Getting started, how-tos, and F.A.Q.

3. Pocket Queries

Postby mbastian » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:11 pm

You will need to upload Pocket Query (PQs) on a regular basis for areas you want to use bcaching. PQ data is available in bcaching for only 30 days as required by the geocaching.com data Terms of Use agreement with Groundspeak. More specifically, geocache data is only available in bcaching for 30 days after the time it was generated by geocaching.com. The purpose for this is to make sure that the geocache data shown in bcaching is not "stale". BCaching will also display a warning on caches that have not been updated in more than 7 days.

You can manually upload a PQ anytime using the Upload Pocket Queries page. You can also email your PQs directly to your bcaching account by using the "Alternate Email" option in a PQ or via your own Email forwarding rules. Each bcaching user gets a personalized AutoGPX email address which you can find in the bcaching Profile page.

With your AutoGPX email address you can setup completely automated PQs so your bcaching data is always up to date for the regions you do the majority of your caching.

You can have up to 5 PQs generated on GC per day. You don't want to use them all since you never know when you'll need
to make some quick plans for a geo trip somewhere you don't normally travel, but with only one or two PQs per day you can
keep bcaching up to date.

You can choose a maximum of 1000 caches to be included in a PQ, but if you choose more than 500 the PQ will NOT be emailed. If you want to set up automated PQs that get emailed to you bcaching account you must choose 500 (or less, but why would you choose less?). Choosing 1000 caches can still be useful for "one-offs" like when you're planning to visit an area not in your covered areas, but remember that you will have to download those PQs manually and upload or email them the bcaching manually.

Get the latest updates
You should set up at least one "updates" PQ to run daily to get nearby updates to retrieve all nearby new caches, cache updates and latest logs.
  • Days to generate, Check ALL
  • Run this query every week on the days checked
  • Show me 500 caches
  • of ANY type, ANY container
  • That (I Haven't Found), (I Don't Own), and (Updated in the last 7 days)
  • Within (None Selected)
  • From... (choose home coordinates or postal code or a nearby waypoint)
  • Placed during (none selected)
  • Alternate Email (your AutoGPX email address)
  • Compress files checked

Caches I haven't found
You should also set up one or more PQs to run once or twice per week that load all caches you haven't found, regardless
of when they were last updated. This will be the same as the previous PQ except for the following:
  • Days to generate: Check only a couple different days
  • That (I Haven't Found) and (I Don't Own) and (Is Active)

You may wish to expand your up-to-date caching area beyond 500 caches. This can be accomplished easily by breaking your "Caches I haven't found" PQ into multiple PQs. Although it may differ somewhat by region, you can use the container type typical breakdown:
  • 37% Micro
  • 27% Regular
  • 27% Small
  • 5% Not Chosen
  • 4% Other, Virtual, and Large

Using that information you can create two somewhat evenly split PQs for the nearest 1000 caches:
  • 46% Micro + Not Chosen + Other + Virtual + Large
  • 54% Regular + Small

or into three PQs for the nearest 1500 caches:
  • 37% Micro
  • 32% Small + Not Chosen
  • 31% Regular + Other + Virtual + Large

Keeping My Finds Up To Date
If you use bcaching field notes to keep track of your finds, then there is no need to do anything special. bcaching will automatically filter out your finds "according to GC" as well as your finds based on your bcaching field notes.

If you DON'T use BCaching field notes, bcaching won't know about your finds until you upload PQs from GC that contain those find logs. GC only allows you to run a full "My Finds" PQ once every 7 days and it can only be done by hand, but if you have a daily PQ that loads all recent updates for "caches you HAVE found" then your find logs will usually be included in those PQs unless you're caching outside the range of the PQ. Create another PQ like the one above for "Get the latest updates" without (I Haven't Found) checked:
  • that (I Don't Own), and (Updated in the last 7 days)
mbastian

Re: 3. Pocket Queries

Postby dronnord » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 pm

GC does not recognize my bc email as valid. It redlines it and will not allow it as an alternate email...FYI :mrgreen:
dronnord

Postby mbastian » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:47 pm

dronnord wrote:GC does not recognize my bc email as valid. It redlines it and will not allow it as an alternate email...FYI :mrgreen:

On gc when adding an e-mail address, make sure you don't have a space in the field or any other extra characters. It should be formatted as "autogpx+xyz@bcaching.com" where xyz is your individual code. No quotes, no spaces. Otherwise you will get the error:
* Invalid Email
mbastian

Postby zstatman » Wed May 11, 2011 4:29 pm

You also will have to validate the email address.

It comes to BCaching then open the email and click link to validate
zstatman

Postby plasma boy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 am

Is there a chance that you will be upping the online emailing of PQs to 1000 in the future?
plasma boy

Postby mbastian » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Unfortunately I have no control over that. It is a groundspeak/geocaching limitation.

You can generate PQs with 1000 caches but you have to download it manually, and then you can upload it to bcaching.
mbastian

Postby Nuffie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:14 am

I have set up an account in bcaching and received my PQ's in "Email Messages".
But in my GeoBeagle on my Galaxy I cannot see these caches. I run "Sync Caches" in GeoBeagle, but no caches.
What did I do wrong?
I can only see the caches I uploades manually from "Upload Pocket Queries".
My question is: how can I get my PQ's from BCaching.com in my Galaxy?
Can you help me?
Nuffie

Postby mbastian » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:45 am

I'm trying geobeagle & bcaching for the first time on my new nexus as we speak. This is a really nice device! Anyway, it seems to be syncing properly but it's not done yet - I've got over 3000 caches in my account at the moment. Did you go into geobeagle settings, and check "sync with bcaching" and enter your username & password? Make sure both are identical to how it was entered in bcaching with no extra spaces and with identical case.
mbastian

Postby Nuffie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Name and password checked and ok, but still no syncing.
The PQ's are with 1000 caches. Is that a problem with GeoBeagle? Geacaching.com sends them without problems to Bcaching, but can Bcaching send them to my Galaxy?
Nuffie

Postby Nuffie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 pm

My problem is solved. Indeed, the 1000-marge was the problem.
Thanks for your tips.
Nuffie

Return to User Guide